Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Chicago


Today, some of us began the day by walking through Myrick Park which includes a marsh. We saw a bald eagle, blue herons, and many ducks. In class we introduced ourselves and used the U.S. map to discuss where we lived in terms of land formation, environment, and culture. I touched on such facts as Chicago means 'wild onion,' it's built on a swamp, and became known as the Windy City not because of the wind but because at one time some politicians went to Washington, D.C. and didn't stop talking. Many other cities are windier, such as St. Louis. I explained about our cultural diversity, our natural resources, and how lucky we are to live in a city with so many parks, forest preserves, bike paths, and what I think is the most beautiful and accessible lake front. I discussed how we are striving to add more trees and plants to our city, including roof top gardens. What did I forget and should tell them tomorrow?

2 comments:

  1. That Marsh sounds like a cool place. I'm into birdwatching now and wish I could have been the when you saw the eagle.

    In class, you could talk about the schools in chicago and about CPS. You might mention Decatur to.

    Weston J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wes. I'm so excited you made a comment. Everyday I take my binoculars. We've seen several eagles. The local people know immediately if it's an eagle, hawk, or turkey buzzard, no matter how far away it is. In small groups we talk about our schools - and everyone is facinated when I talk about Decatur.

    ReplyDelete