Friday, July 30, 2010

Last Post from La Crosse

As I reflect on all that I have learned about exploring the past around La Crosse, I thought about all of the birds I have seen.  I never expected to see so many eagles.  We saw 3 Tuesday along the Mississippi River on our way to the Indian Mounds and a family, mother, father, and 2 babies in Myrick Hixon Ecopark across the street from the University of Wisconsin La Crosse campus. Eagles are territorial, so are seen several miles apart.  If eagles aren't far apart, they are the same family or if not near their own nesting territory, they are just hunting and will "hang out" together temporarily.  Walking through the Myrick Hixon marsh, we have seen five Great Blue Herons together, a Green Heron, many Mallard Ducks, Gold Finches, Canadian Geese, Wood Thrushes, and Cardinals and Turkey Hawks.  On the farms we have seen Guinea Hens, chickens and turkeys.  It is a bird watcher's paradise.

1 comment:

  1. lol nice one teacher cant wait to read more :) :) -jerri rose/you are my wrighting teacher i wear all black lol :) :) looks like you had a fun summer

    ReplyDelete